Thursday, February 26, 2009

Preparations, preparations....

For me planning of these type of long journeys is a great part of the experience. I simply love to plan my trips. Some people might argue that too much planning takes away the adventurous part of the journey. I agree with that if one tries to stick to the plan during the journey if it is not possible anymore. I like planning but am also very flexible to changes during my journeys.

This trip is not much different than many trips I did before. There are some common tasks and things to do.

First step is to plan the routes. Jaime and I spent decent amount of time to investigate the routes. We first talked to our friends here in Mallorca who have been to Morocco. I got great tips from experienced riders in advrider, ukgser and horizonsunlimited forums. We adjusted the route according to the group's riding skills and the motorcycles we ride. I will put our route here soon.

Second step is buying the ferry tickets. Since we live on an island, a beautiful one indeed, we need first a ferry to reach mainland Spain then another ferry between Spain and Morocco. The total ferry rides cost us about 350 € per person.

Next step was to fix lodging. We fixed so far lodging in Merzouga, the 3 nights with a guide who will accompany us with his 4x4, a lodging in Quazazadan called Bikershome thanks to information on UKGSER Morocco knowledge forum. I am currently working on bookings in Midelt, Marrakech and Fes. I guess we will stay in Ibis hotels in Marrakech and Fes.

Finally and most importantly preparation of the bikes and personal gear. My favorite part. I guess that section requires a new post.

No comments: